Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 13: Minnesota

The picture of the Welcome to Minnesota sign came out a little blurry--this is from the Welcome Center. There were actually two posters to accommodate all the different languages.

We left Mitchell bright and early this morning to head east to Minnesota.

And by "bright and early", I mean "eerily foggy and early."

Our first stop in Minnesota (besides the welcome center) was in Blue Earth.

Blue Earth, MN.

Why did you go to Blue Earth? You ask. Here is why we went to Blue Earth.

He's jolly. He's green. He's rather large.

Ho ho ho.

After taking a bunch of inappropriate photos of Atticus with the Jolly Green Giant, we were back on the road, heading to our next stop, Austin, MN. Why did you go to Austin? You ask. This is why we went to Austin.

Yes, there's a museum.

Yes, the town of Austin totally supports its Spam Museum.

Behold. Behold the museum dedicated entirely to canned meat.

After watching a short movie called "Spam: A Love Story", we took the opportunity to run around the museum taking ridiculous pictures of Atticus.

Mark lifts Atticus (and a crate full of Spam).

This photo kind of weirds me out. Please feel free to post your own interpretation/reaction in the comments section.

Yeah. We put Atticus in a fake fridge with some plastic ham. We actually felt kind of bad about this, but not bad enough to not do it.

Confession--I've never actually tried Spam, and although I had the opportunity, I didn't try Spam at the Spam Museum. I bought some postcards, a gift, and a souvenir flyswatter in the museum store but I wouldn't try the free Spam chunks that museum employees were offering me. I wanted to, I really did, because if ever there was a time to try Spam, it's at the Spam Museum, but I just couldn't do it. The ghost of that hamburger in Omaha haunts me still and I wasn't about to get adventurous again.

Onward to Rochester, home of the internationally reknowned Mayo Clinic and this water tower made to look like an ear of corn.

All water towers should look like something other than a water tower.

The book event was to be at a Barnes & Noble in the evening, but we couldn't resist visiting a different Barnes & Noble first--it's located in what used to be an old theater and it's really neat looking.

The enchanted land of Readsalot.

Some events are wonderful because the booksellers are really fantastic at getting the word out (Puddin'Head Books!!! I love you Puddin'Head Books!) and some events are great because the kids who come out are really into the book (Kids Ink! Carolyn the Greatest Reader Ever!) and some are fantastic because old friends come out of the woodwork to support the book (Cover to Cover!) All events are amazing because Ohmygawd, there is my picture, there is a pile of my books, and they're on sale at this bookstore! That never gets old.

But some events...sometimes, because it's parent-teacher night at school, because I don't know anyone in the town, because because because just because, some events don't work out so well and I find myself alone behind a big pile of my books making desperate sad eyes at anyone who gets near to my signing table, and yes, that's what happened tonight. But I still signed a heap of books for the store to sell later, and met a really nice teacher who bought my book for a friend.

Oh Amy, you say, you must feel so discouraged. Not really, no, because every author I've spoken to has told stories of going through exactly the same thing.

Tomorrow, Minneapolis! I get to see my friend Anna for the first time in over a decade and visit not one, but two independent bookstores, Wild Rumpus and The Red Balloon. I can't wait to see what's in store for me there. Besides (ohmygawd) a pile of my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment